“Where there is no vision, the people perish,” the scripture reads (Proverbs 29:18a). So, what is vision? Vision is your hope, your dream, your plans of the future; it is direction, a clear path. Without your vision, your dreams fall into shattered pieces and you lose hope.
It isn’t supposed to be like this.
The beautiful thing is, before you were born – before you were even formed in the womb – God already knew you; He already had a plan for you. The intricate details of that plan have been woven into your being. He placed into you passions and talents. His thoughts for you are precious and numerous, and He has laid out His plan for you in His Word. He wrote a love letter to you. When you are in love with someone, you make plans and you dream dreams of the future for them and with them. You have a vision for them.
God has a vision for you. He says that His plan for you is for you to prosper. He has plans of peace, hope and a future for you. He wants you to live your life abundantly. He chose you. You were created for purpose. You have purpose. He wants you to live in freedom. Freedom from strong holds (of addiction, destruction, hurts, habits, hang-ups, etc.), freedom from the sins that so easily entangle us. He wants you to want to be free. He wants you to share His vision.
It is nearly impossible for you to move forward in your journey [of recovery], until you realize this foundational truth. Think about it. Mediate on these words. Pray the scripture (listed below you can find the scriptural basis for everything written above – read them and realize it for yourself). Get real with yourself. What is holding you back? Do you really want to be free? Because God offers you freedom. I am not saying that you will not struggle, or that you will not have to fight. These things that hold us so strongly are not called “strongholds” for nothing. But God does promise that He will never leave us, He will teach us how to fight, and He will fight for us.
- Proverbs 29:18a (KJV) Where there is no vision, the people perish.
- Psalm 130:5 (KJV) I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.
- Psalm 139:13-14 (KJV) For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.  I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
- Jeremiah 1:5 (KJV) Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
- Ephes. 4:8 (KJV) Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
- Psalm 40:5 (KJV) Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.
- Psalm 139:17 (KJV) How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
- Jeremiah 29:11 (KJV) For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
- John 10:10 (KJV) The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
- John 15:16 (KJV) Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
- Romans 8:28 (KJV) And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
- 2 Cor. 3:17 (KJV) Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
- Romans 8:2 (KJV) For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
- Isaiah 61:1 (KJV) The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound.
- Galatians 5:1 (KJV) Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.